These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How to boost signal in live situation
by kfir26 on 2012-11-26 04:13:06

I have a patch for rythem guitar and in the middle of the song i got lead part and i want to boost the signal, what is the best way to do it?

1.Use a compressor like the "blue comp" to raise the dynamics? (is this what compressor does?)

2.use second eq after the amp and raise the db

I'm completly new to this so if you also got information resources please share!

Re: How to boost signal in live situation
by Astaroth_CY on 2012-11-26 04:40:10

There are already so many threads about this. Either of those would work fine, just try them and see what works for you.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-26 05:59:16

The thread here has a couple of variations ... http://line6.com/support/thread/89338?tstart=0">http://line6.com/support/thread/89338?tstart=0">http://line6.com/support/thread/89338?tstart=0

Basicaly, if you are happy with the tone you use for rhythm and just need a volume boost then a clean EQ after the amp (e.g. Studio EQ with gain parameter boosted only) is probably the way to go.  Assign it to a footswitch and make sure that your amp can cope with the extra boost without running out of clean headroom.  If you run out of headroom then this method will just cause your tone to compress and may actually make things sound quieter and less dynamic.  Bear in mind that if you are running your amp through a PA then the boost may not be audible to your audience due to the way that the PA is setup for you.  Again you would need to factor in additional headroom.

The other approach is a boost before the amp.  Some people like a compressor here (though personally I don't like the loss of dynamics) and get good results. Other use an EQ boost including a mid frequency boost to make the solo cut through the mix more.  The Mid EQ is a good candidate for this one.

Much of it depends on the style you are playing.  Try a couple of methods and see which one works for your style and genre.

by kfir26 on 2012-11-27 00:51:05

Appreciate the help.

by preciousgeorge on 2012-11-27 08:41:38

Was cruisng thru some other posts on this subject...a rather old post had a very simple solution I had not read in recent posts.

To get a simple volume boost, he added an FX loop, put a "jumper" (short 1/4" patch cable) between the HD500 FX send and return, set the send level to 0, but the return level to +4-5db.  This gave a simple volume boost.  Not sure where he placed the FX loop in the signal path, but I'm assuming after the amp (if using amp model) and probably next to last or last in the signal path.

I have not tried this, but will today.  Of course there would be no tone controls such as you'd get with using a Studio Eq.

Thoughts???

by preciousgeorge on 2012-11-27 08:44:29

Forgot to mention...of course you'd assign the FX loop to a foot switch, then turn it off/on with that foot switch...off for "normal" volume, on for the volume boost.

by kfir26 on 2012-11-28 23:54:57

Hi just an update

I was at rehersal yesterday and the simple method of EQ after the amp worked great, I just put simple EQ and put gain +3db

The solo's were loud and clear.

by preciousgeorge on 2012-11-29 08:09:50

Which type Eq did you use?   I see the Parametric Eq, Studio Eq, and Mid Focus Eq's all have a Gain control.

Did you set the actual Eq tone settings "flat"?

Thanks...nice to hear from a "success story" regarding this "kick up the volume during a lead/solo" issue.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.