These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Control An SV112 and Flextone IIIXL from a Single FBV Shortboard (IT LIVES!!!)
by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 10:07:09

I have one of these,

flextone_iii_xl.jpg

one of these

spiver_valve_112.jpg

and one of these

fbv_shortboard.jpg

holy_crap!.jpg

Holy Crap! I can't control patch changes!That is most perturbing!

DING! [AhHa Moment] I have an idea...

ahha!.jpg

frys.jpg

So I went to Frys...I wonder what is in the bag....

part.jpg

Why it is an RJ45 8Y connector, of course>>>

hmmmm....Let's see...How can I get this thing open....[smash!!!]

open_carefully.jpg

THIS HAS BEEN EDITED...The picture is NOT correct...You must clip the wire on pin 8 also (white wire in the pic)
Now that it is open we need to clip wires attached to pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8...Yes, only 6 stays attached on one of the Y female RJ45s...hmmmm....

mod_complete.jpg
installed.jpg

install the modified 8Y RJ45...booted blue runs to the FBV and the other (no boot) is running from the modified side to the Spider Valve 112...

So I call up 2a on my Shortboard...

patch_change_flex_1a_equals_sv_2a.jpgpatch_change_flex_2c_equals_sv_3c.jpg

Wow! That works...how about 2c?

The pictures above demonstrate using the two amps with the banks offset...You can acutally line up any bank to any bank which is you program you tones in a consistent mapping like A is always a clean tone, it opens up some possibilities...To line up the banks just navigate the SV to the bank the Flextone is on....This also works with a POD XT and there is no reason this should not work with an X3...
rock.jpg

...Ok, looks like I will be moving some patches around after I rock out for a while...

Re: Control An SV112 and Flextone IIIXL from a Single FBV Shortboard (IT LIVES!!!)
by fester2000 on 2009-03-12 11:11:03

Quite possibly the best thread from any forum, ever.  Seriously hilarious and informative all at the same time!

Cheers,

Fester2k

Re: Control An SV112 and Flextone IIIXL from a Single FBV Shortboard (IT LIVES!!!)
by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 11:57:44

Thanks man...It was a lot easier to put together on this fancy new forum...

by sofnwhat on 2009-03-12 13:33:04

Pretty fraken cool man. Great job!

by Rowbi on 2009-03-12 15:30:17

lol, I'd had the same idea... I've saved a few good threads..

here's this thread from the old forum, with pictures and the full text from the old forum: http://www.rowbinet.co.uk/documents/space.zip

by supertacks on 2009-03-12 15:37:29

A great thread and an interesting idea.  It is a shame that as of right now so many of these good ideas are now gone.  Thanks for saving.

by Rowbi on 2009-03-12 16:02:05

well they're not all gone.  the old forum it up for around a month: http://line6.com/supportold/index.jspa

so I'm going through all the links on my website to cool threads like this one Space did, and I'm creating PDF's of the pages, but as the old forum's web address has changed, it wont display photos that were posted anymore, so the zip file I've posted is a PDF of all the text from spaces old thread, and all the photos seperately.

i've also started my own thread asking for people to suggest good threads from the old forum that I will PDF and host on my website.

by Spyfunker on 2009-03-12 19:27:13

Wow, you is one crazy mofo, Spacey!!! What a killer mod!! Now I need to go buy me a SV and a blue hammer.

~S

by cgtrox on 2009-03-12 19:32:35

Coolio bro! This needs to be a sticky fer sure...

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 19:33:28

Thanks bro...I figured out how to post a document and stuck my SVPre review over in the lounge...

by spaceatl on 2009-03-12 20:14:31

Thanks bro...Really, I am just trying to show off my DM-3...LOL!

by almightytreegod on 2009-04-07 18:06:10

An RJ45 8Y connector is hard to find... at least for me atm...

do you think this would work? : http://www1.shopping.com/xPO-L-Com-Modular-Y-Splitter-10Base-T-10Base-T

by spaceatl on 2009-04-07 19:00:29

You need a telephone type that is a basic split...You would have to make sure the eithernet type was straight though on one of the the jacks and only pin 6 pn the other...Those are crossed over but I do not remember the pinout so I am uncertain if it is viable or not...

Something like this should work...You have to figure out how to open it though...

http://www.action-electronics.com/telephone.htm#Rj45y

by almightytreegod on 2009-04-07 20:57:56

oh, ok thanks...

11.42 for shipping... holy shit... but it's worth it...

I'll just have to find a wicked blue hammer now. lol

by spaceatl on 2009-04-07 21:26:04

That was the first one I found...I have actually found it cheaper somewhere else...I think I sent Karl a link to it but that is on the work laptop...Will try to post that tomorrow...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-04-08 05:08:10

http://www.action-electronics.com/telephone.htm#Rj45y

by spaceatl on 2009-04-08 05:19:34

Doh! That's the same link...LOL! Thanks Karl...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2009-04-08 05:40:44

LOL!  That's what I get for not reading thoroughly.

by almightytreegod on 2009-04-08 16:53:28

it's cool, I already bought 3 (just in case)

thanks

by almightytreegod on 2009-04-15 17:19:41

my yellow is not in the same place as your yellow, I believe...

how do you know the pin arrangement?

by spaceatl on 2009-04-16 10:52:39

The pinout is standard...I think these ones one row is odd and the other even...Never pay any attention to wire colors...They can be different depending on who made it...plus with these adapters that are really not meant to be opened, you never know what you might find...

This should help...

http://pinouts.ws/rj-45-pinout.html

by strymon on 2009-04-16 11:21:18

Nice hack Space!

Line6 uses a few of the pins for power and ground so it's not exactly the standard twisted pair ethernet wiring, but what signals live on each wire doesn't matter so much as disconnecting the proper pins on the slave device.

Terry

Strymon Engineering

http://www.strymon.net/

by spaceatl on 2009-04-16 11:42:04

Thank you very much sir...

Yea, the two rails of 9v threw me off a little bit (I think there is only one 9v regulator)...When I was hacking I did figure out that one can phantom power an XT through the RJ45...I am not sure if the regulator can deal with that long term...One can certainly power an analog 9 volt stomp or two...I have seen that one done a couple of times...Boss pedals are probably the best bet because thier DC is completely isolated...ToneCores aren't wired like that...No Daisy chains...

It basically looks sorta like RS232 over RJ45 to me...

I used to do some 8051 embedded stuff and we had a little RS232 network on that used RJ45s...Now if I could just translate that to midi, all would be good...

by strymon on 2009-04-16 11:56:46

The regulator wouldn't be able to do that long term for sure, and probably not a good idea short term either, haha.

8051s are a lot of fun!

Terry

Strymon Engineering

http://www.strymon.net/

by Solus on 2009-04-16 16:45:29

Nice! Proves what happens when you experiment.

Hows the sound your getting threw them both?

by spaceatl on 2009-04-16 22:35:48

I am really digging the control...I can toggle a chorus, delay, reverb between both amps...Only kick FX on one or the other (Minus the Stomp)...The SV preamp out feeds back into the Flextone FX return...When I kick the FX loop button the Flextone preamp bypasses and it's all SV...a really wicked lead boost. Most of the time the Flextone is doing FX and it is generally a cleaner incarnation of what the SV is doing...Some dual tones...The Wah kicks on both and that sounds really cool. It is quite a bit of programming to get everything behaving.

by hafhed on 2009-04-24 06:34:02

quick question, if that head that the splitter is attached to goes down will the signal still pass through. if not does anyone have any ideas as far as controlling backup heads r concerned?

by cgtrox on 2009-04-24 07:25:50

Same here bro, I love the way this thing works! Thanks again space!! (He's prolly tired of hearing me say that already....)

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2009-04-24 12:44:42

What's up bro!

I have a footswitch designed for this...Anyone that has used this mod and done tweaking can likely guess what it does...Very simple...

Master Swap - Allows you to switch which amp is the master (ie: showing up in the display of the FBV)

Slave defeat - This is mainly for tweaking, but there are some performance uses for this...Does what it says...Basically cuts the line for whomever the slave amp is...Basically this is so you swap the master do some tweaking that often includes FX defaults that would differ from the other amp...I have thought of some cases where it might be cool to keep an amp on one patch whilst the other one changes...The thing is the footswitch is rather expensive...Not much $ for that at the moment as I have yet to finish the SVPre footswitch...half-built in a box right now...I will get to it some day...

by spaceatl on 2009-04-24 12:48:03

I think the mod would likely be ideal in that situation...You could just keep the amp in standby ro the master volume all the way down...Although, transfering the patches between them would be somewhat analog with a Spider Valve...

by hafhed on 2009-04-24 13:00:43

this is for a dual setup of vetta 2 hds.. duplicate patches and configuration.. there basically a clone of each other.. i use a tonebone switcher to switch audio from head to head.. i just need a split for the control via fbv longboard... but it has to work if one of the heads fails.. will this do that..

by spaceatl on 2009-04-24 19:55:50

Hmmm...A toggle switch seems to be what you need...The thing is you would need an 8PDT relay to toggle the FBV and guitar input...This mod depends on both amps functioning...Seems that hte notion of the spare would be when the main amp stopped working for some reason...I am not sure this is a good solution for that purpose..

by rgp90 on 2009-06-25 04:36:17

This is very close to what I've logged on to find out...I asked Line 6 about this ages ago -re getting my oldschool Floorboard to run aouple of Pod 2.0s. Of course they told me no way, would void warranty etc, etc. Do you know if your trick would work for my gear? Have spraypainted my hammer in anticipation!

by spaceatl on 2009-06-25 08:52:13

That should be pretty easy to do with no modification needed...POD 2.0s have midi ports...FLoorboard in one 2.0 and a midi cable out to in on the other 2.0....

by rgp90 on 2009-06-26 01:46:43

Thanks for that, you're absolutely right, it works like a charm! I'm ignorant about things like MIDI, so I've been having to control my Pods separately (stereo guitar with an output to each Pod- good 3-dimensional tones, been doing this since before Line 6 introduced the twin- amp modelling ), and not been able to change channels on the  fly, use volume/wah on both, etc. So much more usable now-  but I was kind of looking forward to using the blue hammer.....

by spaceatl on 2009-06-26 15:43:27

Nice one! Midi really is not very hard to understand...But it makes the programing much easier....

Oh yes, I love that blue hammer (3 lbs sledge)...More of a joke about my own tendancy to over engineer my rig...I put 11 AWG wire in my Flextone...The SV uses a different approach on the speaker wires which is to pair up 14 AWG to make each conductor...Effectively that is a 12 AWG wire, however the capacitance and inductance is half that of a single 12 AWG wire...I don't claim to hear it, but there is the placebo of knowing it's there and that

by cyberman2 on 2009-07-24 15:58:13

You mentioned that you had a footswitch available so that you could use two different Line 6 amps w/ one FBV Shortboard.  Question is, could you use that or the aforementioned mod w/ one regular Spider III 75 Watt Combo & then one Spider Jam Amp?  Also, exactly how much would it cost for me to buy one of these here footswitches from you.  I'm over here in Birmingham, Alabama so I'm not too far from you, then.  Please e-mail me on this at marshallfrommars@yahoo.com .  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Van Alexander (My stage name)

Birmingham, Alabama

marshallfrommars@yahoo.com

by phreak68 on 2009-12-28 22:30:30

My questions are:

1) If the two Line 6 units you are trying to control don't share a common ground, will this still work.

2) Does anyone have a pinout for the RJ45 plug, showing which lines are power, which are data, and which are their respective grounds, (i.e. data ground and 9v power ground.)

3) How did you figure this out, trial and error?

4) Did you cause any damage to either unit or Shortboard?

by tedstinson on 2010-01-31 10:26:44

http://www.amamax.com/rjtad8psp1xm.html

Will this adapter work?

by geodavjenk on 2010-03-01 10:02:16

Hey space, rowbi, spyfunker, sc09, karl! It's been a while since I last logged in. I'm glad to see some familiar names still on the boards. The is my first time back in about 8 or 9 months. Lost both parents and my little sis has the big "C". Good thing is the band is playing every weekend and we're heading to Nashville to do a demo of originals next weekend. Now that things are slowing down a little I'll start contributing again.

Kudos space...great thread!

DaveJ

by parisxmusic on 2010-03-04 08:02:29

F'n awesome !!!! **** Dude  - you should work for LINE 6 - their tech support guys sound like they are half dead when you speak to them -

Thanx again -

by spaceatl on 2010-03-08 19:56:59

Dave, so sorry to hear that...I just transferred to HQ and I am going to be slammed for the next couple of years until I get things under control in this group...I am too old to sling code for 12 hours a day...that's for the cowboys that don't plan their work... LOL! Keep in touch bro and if you are near Atlanta, give me a call...I get up to Nashville a couple of times a year...

by daveleahy on 2010-08-14 19:54:04

Just like so many others I want to send you a huge thank you!  I'm running a Spider IV HD 150 panned left and right and a Spider Valve 112 down the center using your J45 connector modification.  You Rock!

by bcubed on 2012-03-01 09:01:44

Would this work with the MKII shortboard? Curious, since it has USB on it now.

by spaceatl on 2012-03-01 17:13:41

I don't see why it wouldn't work...I have not tested the mod with a MK2...I do have a MK2SB and it works with the MK1 SV, my old Flextone IIIXL and POD XT, so I am pretty certain the pinout is the same...I haven't used that mod in a few years now...

If you have an SV MK2, there is a midi out so there should not be much trouble getting an SV MK2 with a MK2SB attached to control something else as long it has midi... what are thinking this mod would be good for?

by TboneofInfrared on 2012-03-07 10:39:27

That's freaking awesome dude. Now i have a question. Let's say i just want to run one HD147 amp with 2 fbvs for each side of the stage, is this the same set-up?

by spaceatl on 2012-03-07 11:41:31

no, this mod would likely not work for that...power would be the big problem with that...pretty sure the regulators are not big enough for two shortboards...

However, if you have an HD147 and want two synchronized footcontrollers, then perhaps a couple of Behringer FCB1010s would do the trick...Or a shortboard and one FCB 1010...that would work also...

If you had two HD 147s and midi them together, then I tend to think you could actually use two FBV shortboards...you would have enough power and the changes would stay synched I think...never tried it...

This mod is intended for a Spider 2, 3 or SV MK1 and another FBV SB MK1 capable amp or POD...

by bcubed on 2012-04-02 20:48:32

Well I got my Spider IV 75 in today and bought my Shortboard MKII on Friday ...Along with my Spider III 75 I hooked everything up with my modified adapter and nothing :-(

The Shortbaord controls the Spider IV but the Spider III doesn't do anything .. so either it wont work or I messed up the adapter. I did by another one just in case, but I'm just not sure this will work with the new equipment.

by McThrasher on 2012-09-02 13:49:03

Any idea if this would work with Spider IV's and the Shortboard MKII?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.