These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Cracking noise on reso and acoustic variax 300
by clintcoen on 2009-06-21 10:47:48

When selecting reso and acoustic models ther is a strange cracking sound constantly

reso 1 loud

reso 2,3 not present

reso 4 lower

reso 5 lower

acoustic 1 2 4 5 all the same

acoustic 3 it's faint

It's not on any others models

it is the same using power supply or batteries

please help me

Re: Cracking noise on reso and acoustic variax 300
by amx05462 on 2009-06-21 12:06:55

first thing id tri is cleaning the switch  you seem to be having trouble there  . then  i hear  a few guys  got rid of trouble like this by insulating  the boards from the coffin case with electrical tape.    third  if none of that works try  reflashing  the software.  start with cleanig the switch    somee contact cleaner then  work the switch . 300 is an old model   switch may be oxidising.  while your at  it do the same for the potentometers. and  the model control.. then blow everything out with dust off.

by clintcoen on 2009-06-22 11:07:04

It really does not seem to me to be a dirty switch problem.

I'll give the tape a go and see how I get on

by amx05462 on 2009-06-22 12:01:50

yeah  some people say that the boards are shorting  against the coffin case.  i stil sat clean the switch and pots while you have it apart though.  i would jost so i didnt have to take it apart twice. oh and one more thing   beforeyou take all the boards out of the coffin case. mark all the plugs  for direction  with a magic marker.   there  directional but can be put in backwards.  i know  i did it.  got a  clicking noise and couldnt  figure it out till i took it all apart again.  mines all marked up for that now. it will be apart for a while so i dont  want to do that again. im transplanting into a lucite body. by the way i didnt mean to say the switch  was necessarily dirty.  but might be oxidised. like a  scratchy  tone or volume control gets  when it gets old.   ive even taken those apart  and  emeryed the  contact  and  the bottom of them .  clears that scratchyness right up like a new pot.   well good luck  let me know how it comes out. 

by clintcoen on 2009-06-23 13:55:35

Done all of that no good

Listening to the noise its a computing sounding noise more than a cracking

Any other ideas?

Has any one the same problem?

by amx05462 on 2009-06-23 14:16:22

next thing i would do is  reflash  the chip  with the firmware.  you can download it from  line6 web site in the software section.  if that doesnt  do it then youll have to send it  to one of there repair  shops.

by AndyParedes on 2009-06-24 09:15:16

Hello,

This information is correct. See the following link for the Variax reflash procedure:

Variax Troublshooting Tips

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3857

class="MsoNormal">

If you are still having problems you will need to take your unit for repair.

Product Repair

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4285

class="MsoNormal">

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers!

by
bjabus on 2012-01-11 10:56:32

Did you ever find out what the problem was with this?

by aweb on 2012-01-18 07:40:46

• Hi, I have a flawless, black Variax 300 for sale with xps box, case. Also, I have a Variax 700 bass 4 string that I purchased new about 15 months ago. It is also flawless. Has factory case, pro XPS box, etc...I would be happy to sell the Variax 300 electric for $200.00 & the Variax 700 bass 4 string for $350.00.Someone need so grab these quick. I stil have my Variax 700 Acoustic (keeping it). I just got a Godin to replace the Variax 300 & a steinberger bass. Also-a Floor Pod Plus. Purchased 15 months ago. Flawless. Used about 20 times.Will sell for $90.00. Will sell all in a bundle for $600.00. Have pics of all.

by aweb on 2012-01-18 13:05:10

SOLD!!!

by JeffLillard on 2012-04-19 19:21:20

Found the problem! Apparently there is an issue with custom patches. I tried to reflash the chip (for the 3rd time) and it failed part way through. Then I tried again and it finished, but deleted all my custom patches. Now all the acoustic\reso sounds work fine. I have not tried to restore my custom patches - don't think I'll even try!

Jeff

by bjabus on 2012-07-03 03:34:20

The product repair link is not working.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.